Parry should reward more

• Parry definitely should reward you more as hard as it is to properly use it. Using parry against a daemon means absolutely nothing for example. A successful parry could result in the attacker losing a stamina bar or something. The parry should provide you with much greater reward than just a half second break in being attacked.

• It should stun and consume attacker's 1 stamina bar. If you successful with parry, you have some chance to escape melee stunlock.

• @Piasecznik said in Parry should reward more:

It should stun and consume attacker's 1 stamina bar. If you successful with parry, you have some chance to escape melee stunlock.

Aggreee

• Pretty sure parry is going to completely wreck combat once people realize how absolutely busted it is.

Example:
    https://youtu.be/W76gAWOCh_A

• @mbaddtest said in Parry should reward more:

Pretty sure parry is going to completely wreck combat once people realize how absolutely busted it is.

Example:

As funny as that video was, you were in the Dojo where latency is going to differ significantly to a match with other players across the globe, and you were only 1v1, which shouldn't be happening in such a team focussed game.

Parrying's problems only really surface when ganged upon, or when there's an additional opponent you have to deal with. I'm willing to concede my point if you could show that same level of ability in an online match though. ^^

• @mbaddtest
    Strong evidence which shows ranged characters should not be able to parry !

• @Johnbonne said in Parry should reward more:

As funny as that video was, you were in the Dojo where latency is going to differ significantly to a match with other players across the globe, and you were only 1v1, which shouldn't be happening in such a team focussed game.

Parrying's problems only really surface when ganged upon, or when there's an additional opponent you have to deal with.

I haven't noticed any discrepancies between the Dojo and in-match. The client-side registration for parry seems generous to me, but that might be because I'm on fiber -- timings feel exactly the same, even against Europeans.

Parry's even more broken in match, because if melee can't disrupt you, they end up ignoring you for easier targets (like tanks). Meanwhile, they're in your backlines taking massive damage while accomplishing nothing. Even if they manage to slip a hit through here and there, you have teammates healing. It completely wrecks diving characters like Bastardo, who rely on landing hits to stay alive.

For Miko, fueling evades with parries makes her the most unkillable character in the game, able to chase after anyone (especially tanks) for duels to power her staff healing/cooldown reduction, or attack backline characters like Zero, largely uncontested.

Though I'm still having trouble parrying Daemon's attacks, Dojo or not. His combo and cancel resets are hard as hell to time, it's going to take waaay more practice to parry him consistently. If you're parrying Daemon consistently right now, you've already won the game, just uninstall.

I'm willing to concede my point if you could show that same level of ability in an online match though. ^^

Yea, I'll probably have another one in a few days. Scrubbing through footage is time consuming AF. Need to learn about Shadowplay or whatever newfangled recording software kids are using these days. Besides Obs, what are you all using to quickly gather clips?

• @mbaddtest Thanks for elaborating on the video, there's some good info there (I don't parry myself, but I may have to learn how if it's that good in-match!)

I can't add much I'm afraid, so I'll just say I use Shadowplay for recording as I'm on a Nvidia card and it comes free with the driver software. It does the job. xD

• @savagestl

The parry system is a fairly new addition to the game, we added it during the Closed Beta.

We have already made improvements to it since it's addition and we will continue to make improvements to the Bleeding Edge content and mechanics where we feel it is necessary.

At this moment in time we are focusing on fixes and improvements to ensure the Bleeding Edge experience is positive for all players.

Keep discussing the game and sending us your feedback!

alt text

• All it needs is a longer stun or some mechanic to guarantee that you get a free combo started from it, at that point you restore half a bar and the enemy has to waste one to escape your attacks which makes it a parry well used.

• @Tetris229 Awesome thanks for the reply.

• @savagestl totally agree, party as close as useless, and maybe it is...

• I do not agree. I almost every match i use parry successfuly (especialy against bastardo, bcup & nidhog). I play from europe and very often a parry against usa without very much trouble. And ofcourse i see all the time, good playera parry my attacks. Then the real fun begins. Combo cancels and delaying attacks.
    Im pretty sure that if someine thinks parry is useless; is eaither having constant lag problems or is just bad at this game.
    Regards
    RustyBlasty

• The latency needs to be addressed before they think about changing the parry system, as it's incredibly inconsistent in live games. I can parry like a god in the dojo, but it's near impossible when in an actual game thanks to latency, packet loss, etc. I use an ethernet cable and currently average 30-40mbs thanks to corona and the strain of everyone being at home, my ISP has throttled my connection and I would guess most to handle the influx of users.

As for the parry system itself, when it works I feel it's fine, could maybe use a slightly longer "stun" window for the parried player. Also for those who get instantly hit after a successful parry could be facing latency issues, either on their end or the one they are parrying, making it seem useless to them, when they get a lucky parry on some laggy Daemon.

• This may be exclusive to PC/M&KB players, but for me parry is just flat out broken, in that it doesn't work reliably. The game seems to cache your inputs, so if you mistime a parry it'll still end up going through the instant you're able to act after being staggered by a melee attack (even if you're not pressing anything), which sends you into a brief recovery state where the parry can't be activated, making it nearly impossible to get the timing right, or even practice the timing in Dojo. Add to how the window of opportunity of the parry and attacks are so imperceptibly tiny sometimes, it's more of a death sentence than a useful defensive feature.

Compare to a game like Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, which requires you to push the movement analog stick in the direction of the oncoming attack, and press your own attack button at the same time. This means the physical action of performing the parry on your controller involves a very brief delay from moving the stick before the game can even register your move. Even with that in mind, no matter the enemy or how slow and telegraphed or fast and unrelenting their attacks are, you don't need inhuman timing to master the parry. The game has a much larger window of effectiveness for the parry, while Bleeding Edge has such a small fraction of a second with which the parry is viable.

EDIT: I'd also add that, at least with Cass, it would be lovely if I didn't automatically dash instead of parry when using my primary attack in between parry attempts (again, this also happens with zero movement input)

• @Piasecznik said in Parry should reward more:

It should stun and consume attacker's 1 stamina bar. If you successful with parry, you have some chance to escape melee stunlock.

I wholeheartedly agree with consuming 1 of the attacker's stamina bars but I am afraid a stun might be a bit much. Players who have substantial practice in the parry system could be unstoppable with what's essentially a free stun with no cooldown.

@mbaddtest said in Parry should reward more:

Pretty sure parry is going to completely wreck combat once people realize how absolutely busted it is.

Example:

This is situational but amazing. Point well made in my opinion!