A LvL 25 Perspective on Bleeding Edge (So far)

• Yo. I’m Wyrin (D4rkPassenger45 on Xbox,) and I’ve played a decent amount of Bleeding Edge since the open Beta. I just wanted to take some time to write down my thoughts and opinions regarding the game in a more comprehensive manner to hopefully spark further discussion and possibly have more of our community’s ideas be addressed by the developers in future updates. I’ll try to make this as organized as possible but I’ll probably be jumping around a bit here and there. I’ll label my points as accurately as possible and include a TL;DR version at the end of my post. Lastly before I get started, I just wanted to link my twitter where I’ve been uploading clips from my Xbox if anyone is interested in seeing some sick plays. https://twitter.com/DGWyrin
    Thanks ahead of time for reading!

Bugs-
    I don’t find it too worthwhile to spend a lot of time talking about bugs in the game as the developers have been very vocal about their efforts to get feedback from players about glitches in the game and I’m sure they’ll be rolling out more patches to fix any still present as soon as they can.

As far as my experience goes, there aren’t too many game braking bugs in the game, but there are a few that get in the way from time to time. Most often I run into players that I last hit teleporting back to life immediately after their death animation. It seems to happen more often with characters with self-heal which may have something to do with it. It usually doesn’t get too in the way because you can usually finish them off right after since they are still one hit, but there has been an incredibly frustrating time where a Nid came back to life and managed to dodge his way to a Zero Cool where they turned on me and I died well after a kill I was sure I secured. It is a little annoying having to double check that my target is dead after I hear the ding go off. Otherwise most glitches are fairly forgettable and nothing I stress too much about.

Mods-
    For the mods in the game I think there is a pretty good balance on most of the character for some room to experiment with different strategies and play-styles. I will say a few of them do seem either under or overpowered, but I’m sure changes like that will be easier to address over time. Most importantly I don’t think there should be any mods that you HAVE to take on a character for it to be worth taking, but there really aren’t many good examples of that outside Zero Cool’s Stamina mods. I do hope that some more are added over time to give existing characters even more interesting tools to try out. I will probably outline ideas like that more specifically in a different post, as there are plenty of things I personally would like to see in the game, but I’d like to focus more on what is already in it and what actually seems possible within the scope of the developers’ vision.

That being said, I definitely think that players should get a little bit more credit when getting duplicate mods or recycling mods they don’t want to use. I believe the natural Mod Currency progression is pretty fair as you can get most of the ones you would want to use by the time you get a character to level 10, but it still doesn’t seem right to only be getting 50 credits when recycling mods. I’m at a point now where it seems to be taking longer and longer to get any new mods to try out, let alone if I need 3 specific ones for a full build. I also don’t think you should get default mods as dupes but I’m not really sure how or if they could control that and it is mostly more tedious than anything really. But it does suck hitting like Level 11 on Maeve and unlocking a default mod.

Currency-
    While I’m talking about currency I guess I should go into one of my biggest problems with the game and that’s the credit progression system. It honestly feels like it takes wayyyy too long to unlock much of anything. With almost 2 full days of play time put into the game I still really only have a board, a trail, and two recolor skins. I honestly wouldn’t mind so much if there were at least micro transactions so I could spend 10 bucks to get some cosmetics if I wanted to, but with no other way to earn credits besides playing game after game, it seems really daunting to save up for much of anything. Especially knowing there are going to be new Skins, Boards, and Emotes coming out that will likely cost much more than the ones already in the game, I don’t see how I’m realistically supposed to play enough to get a skin for every character I like playing when I get an average of like 15 credits per game.

There has to be more of a reward for winning and preforming well. It doesn’t see much worth trying when I get 10 credits from a loss and maybe 2-5 more for a winning game where I had the highest damage, kills, and final blows. If there isn’t going to be more of a reward for simply playing, there should at least be some version of daily or weekly quests you can complete to earn more. Like 500 credits for turning in 50 power cells in a day or something. That way you can incentivize players to play the game correctly by rewarding them for doing so. You could get more people to heal if there way like a weekly quest to heal for 100k damage. Small things like that make a big difference in my opinion. I don’t like playing Makutu but I would do it if I could earn something for doing so. And at the same time it wouldn’t be feeling so lame getting so few credits after a match when you have another way to get them. Or like I previously said just let me buy them, I don’t mind supporting a good game developer at all as long as the micro transactions aren’t overtly greedy.

Ranked-
    And speaking of incentive, I’m honestly losing most of mine to keep playing. It doesn’t really feel like I’m doing much of anything, or like the amount of time I put into the game matters at all when its seemingly random every time I get into a game. There HAS to be a ranked mode in this game, it doesn’t have to be anything super extensive, just a mode that I can play where the amount of competitiveness I’m attempting to achieve is shared by everyone on both teams. I know the game is supposed to be fun but I get into plenty of games where it seems like my team legitimately has no concern about winning whatsoever, which is pretty disheartening in a game like this.

I want to be able to have some sort of rank that shows how much work I’ve put into the game, and that I actually care about playing with a well-rounded, communicative team. Like every other game in the MOBA genre, I should be able to queue up with people of the same skill level as me that are also trying their hardest to win. Honestly the only time I’ve been having a good time playing this game after the burnout started to set in is when I’m grouped up with a team of 4 and we’re all talking and playing together. Which obviously is the way the game is supposed to be played, but rarely do I ever get the chance to when only 10 percent of the randoms I run into on Xbox live ever bother to use a mic, or even listen thru their TV for that matter.

TL;DR-
    I feel like this has already run a bit long so I plan on breaking up the rest of my thoughts into future posts where I’ll outline some more ideas a little more thoroughly. I’ll also be in the comments looking to talk to anybody that has some more to add to the conversation. Basically though my main points are…

1. WE NEED RANKED
    2. Bugs happen, NBD
    3. Need a better currency system: Challenges and/or Micro Transactions
    4. Add more mods/patch existing mods soon
    5. WE NEED RANKED
    6. Incentivize proper gameplay
    7. More credit for recycling mods
    8. Please ranked
    9. I didn’t mention it but I am disappointed by how long it took Mekko to come out, it gives the impression that it’s going to be significantly longer before we see another character after. That, in my opinion, is one of the most important aspects of keeping hero based games alive.

• Yo, I read it all, nice to see a rather passionate post about this brilliant game. Not to be a pompous ass, but as a level 50, I thought I would share my views in comparison to yours.

Bugs, sure are being reported and hopefully will be addressed in a swift manner, but obviously we can't know how long they will take to fix or how difficult they will be to do so, I just hope that doing so isn't too tedious and hard for the Devs. There are a few bugs I feel are pretty major, like Maeve's starved mod, and hope these are top priority for the team.

Mods, I partially disagree with the statement "Most importantly I don’t think there should be any mods that you HAVE to take on a character for it to be worth taking". There are, in my opinion, a few mods which seem essential or just out right more powerful than others, on certain characters. For example, with Miko, Adrenalin is a MUST, it offers her so much more survivability and is honestly a bit strong, could use a nerf of some sort. Maeve, double dip, is just insane, getting 15% supercharge per schadenfruede (?) gives her insane potential with TnT or Peek a brew. There are many others on different characters, just need to find them and you'll probably agree 😉

One thing I do agree with is mod points on dupes/recycle, as of right now you get a 5th of the worth of a mod from them, that feels a little low to me and should be increased, also dupes of defaults are pretty bad in my opinion and should never happen, imo.

Currency/rewards, I agree again, either an increase in received currency or some sort of bonus system for performance during the match, maybe the highest damage/ damage taken/ healing done/ killing blows/ objective score, could reward certain bonuses, like an increase in currencies.

Ranked, I completely disagree here, with the game in it's current state. There are still some major issues that need to be fixed before implementing ranked, let alone the low player base. Also ranked would be a horrid experience in my opinion if it was handled the same way quick play is, there would need to be specific differences between them, especially seperate queues for solo/duo and 4 stacks. The fact that the in game voip just seems to not work at all for pc players, at least some, is a big example against ranked, also the low character number, Buttercup in her current state, and certain mods being out right broken and needing a fix, once again Maeve's starved mod, which should have been disabled in my opinion and only come back when actually fixed, like the Buttercup mod which reduces healing was disabled at launch, I would expect for the same reason that Starved should be disabled. As much as I would like ranked, the game needs major fixes and changes before they even consider it, but hopefully we will get custom games soon so those who want a more competitive atmosphere or to just scrim/test stuff in game can do so.

Mekko, while again yes has not yet been released at the time of posting, was delayed because other issues needed addressing which were more important, the team isn't that large, and are all working from home, so delays should be expected by the community considering the difficulty that exists for the team to tackle certain problems that take priority over a character release, which in itself could introduce new problems and bugs.

• @D4rkPassenger46

Thank you for taking the time to share so much detailed feedback about Bleeding Edge with us.

I'd like to try and provide you with some information on some of the things you mentioned, however for the majority of your post it's great to hear what you think about the game and the team read and discuss everything the players send us.

We are investigating the possibility of a ranked mode, we have stated this in previous updates and when we have more information on if it has a place in Bleeding Edge we will let the community know.

As mentioned in our most recent community update, we did make decisions to focus on fixes, optimisations and improvements. This shift in priority did mean our schedule changed and the release of Mekko had to be pushed back. This is no indication of how long it can and will take to release future content, we are working on other characters, maps, game modes and content for future patches.

Please continue to provide us with such helpful and in depth feedback!

alt text

• @Tetris229 said in A LvL 25 Perspective on Bleeding Edge (So far):

As mentioned in our most recent community update, we did make decisions to focus on fixes, optimisations and improvements.

This right here, makes me happy 🙂 Keep up the good work Tetris and give the team our love ❤

• @RageKrom said in A LvL 25 Perspective on Bleeding Edge (So far):

Yo, I read it all, nice to see a rather passionate post about this brilliant game. Not to be a pompous ass, but as a level 50, I thought I would share my views in comparison to yours.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks for adding to the conversation!

Bugs, sure are being reported and hopefully will be addressed in a swift manner, but obviously we can't know how long they will take to fix or how difficult they will be to do so, I just hope that doing so isn't too tedious and hard for the Devs.

Definitely agree. They've stated multiple times that patching the game into a completely playable state is their priority and I like that a lot.

Mods, I partially disagree with the statement "Most importantly I don’t think there should be any mods that you HAVE to take on a character for it to be worth taking". There are, in my opinion, a few mods which seem essential or just out right more powerful than others, on certain characters. For example, with Miko, Adrenalin is a MUST, it offers her so much more survivability and is honestly a bit strong, could use a nerf of some sort. Maeve, double dip, is just insane, getting 15% supercharge per schadenfruede (?) gives her insane potential with TnT or Peek a brew. There are many others on different characters, just need to find them and you'll probably agree 😉

I agree with all of this and if that wasn't clear thanks for reiterating!

One thing I do agree with is mod points on dupes/recycle,

Currency/rewards, I agree again, either an increase in received currency or some sort of bonus system for performance during the match, maybe the highest damage/ damage taken/ healing done/ killing blows/ objective score, could reward certain bonuses, like an increase in currencies.

Yes! And I also forgot to point out how disheartening the backfill system fills. They seriously need to increase the amount of credits you get for staying when you get placed in a losing match. Their leaver penalty is really harsh but it doesn't really punish the people that are leaving games often as much as it does people that stick their matches out. A higher credit boost for backfills is much needed in my opinion. And also I believe you do get more credits for things such as highest damage/healing done, it just doesn't seem like its enough to really seem like the best players in the game are actually getting rewarded. I can't tell you how many times I've ended games like 20/0 as Maeve with 16k damage done and gotten like 11 credits at the end of the match.

Ranked, I completely disagree here, with the game in it's current state. There are still some major issues that need to be fixed before implementing ranked, let alone the low player base. Also ranked would be a horrid experience in my opinion if it was handled the same way quick play is, there would need to be specific differences between them, especially seperate queues for solo/duo and 4 stacks. The fact that the in game voip just seems to not work at all for pc players, at least some, is a big example against ranked, also the low character number, Buttercup in her current state, and certain mods being out right broken and needing a fix, once again Maeve's starved mod, which should have been disabled in my opinion and only come back when actually fixed, like the Buttercup mod which reduces healing was disabled at launch, I would expect for the same reason that Starved should be disabled. As much as I would like ranked, the game needs major fixes and changes before they even consider it, but hopefully we will get custom games soon so those who want a more competitive atmosphere or to just scrim/test stuff in game can do so.

Very good points all around. I think the game definitely does need a few more pathes before ranked would be viable, and it would need to be implemented with care, but there absolutely is a place for it in Bleeding Edge and I just hope it isn't too long before we see some sort of tier system for dedicated players.

• @Tetris229 said in A LvL 25 Perspective on Bleeding Edge (So far):

@D4rkPassenger46

Thank you for taking the time to share so much detailed feedback about Bleeding Edge with us.

Thank you for taking the time to read it!

We are investigating the possibility of a ranked mode, we have stated this in previous updates and when we have more information on if it has a place in Bleeding Edge we will let the community know.

Thanks for this and I hope you announce soon whether you have a solid stance on whether or not you want to impiment a ranked system. As far as the community I can say that from what I've heard the majority of us definitely want some sort of ranked system in the game as soon as possible. That being said I definitely understand how many factors go into making a ranked playlist and know that it's going to take some more time and patches before the game is ready for it. But there IS a place for it in Bleeding Edge, as for when and how, I'm patiently awaiting a concrete answer.

As mentioned in our most recent community update, we did make decisions to focus on fixes, optimizations and improvements. This shift in priority did mean our schedule changed and the release of Mekko had to be pushed back. This is no indication of how long it can and will take to release future content, we are working on other characters, maps, game modes and content for future patches.

Good to know and thanks for clearing that up. Optimizing the game absolutely should be the priority and I appreciate that you guys are doing that. I just know how much that can get in the way of releasing actual content and I'm hoping in the future there will be more room for more updates instead of fixes, or rather a healthier balance of both.

Please continue to provide us with such helpful and in depth feedback!

Will do!