Solo survivability idea

• This game is super awesome when you have a team that works well but it can be infuriating when you don’t. I think in order to combat this challenge there should be a Lone Wolf buff that triggers when you are on your own and faced with 2 or more enemies. Below is a detailed suggestion.

Lone Wolf Mode
    • Attacks that land cause flinching on all enemy types, and combos cannot be interrupted by any enemy without parrying or dodging at the right time.
    • Attack speed increased by a percentage for every additional foe faced
    • Dodge recovery rate increase for better chance to escape
    • This buff triggers when you are alone and faced with 2 or enemies with health at 50% or less.

Something like this I believe would make that moment when your team ditches you or perishes, much less infuriating. This idea can be implemented in wholly to an extent, or in part, not to discourage team play but to simply increase survivability when you are caught in a bind.

• Why would they add a mechanic intended to encourage/support solo play in a team oriented game?

• @JunseiTensai if done right, it can add a unique dynamic to the game imo.

• @CAPO-9 No I find it very weird that you want a solo thing in a teambased game. Plus it will just encourage everybody splitting up and a fighter who doesn't play with his team would wreck a team that works together while he isn't working with his own team.

• @Votre-Daron there’s nothing weird about thinking outside the box. I gave you the logic and reasoning behind the idea which is not weird at all. I have a creative mind that thinks about ways a game can be improved upon, especially when a problem is presented. Reviewers have mentioned how this game can be super fun when with the right team and infuriating when not, so it’s not just my opinion. I still love the game and hope it continues to be improved upon and expanded. Phenomenal work by Ninja Theory. They have a great foundation here.

• @Votre-Daron the idea can be implemented in some form, not necessarily exactly how I outlined it. Example, this can trigger when health reaches 50% or something, along with being alone, just to give you a fighting chance. It can also be done in a way so as to still make team play better.

• @CAPO-9 hate it, this would encourage solo plays definitely and combining more abilities wouldn't make sense when fighting a dps alone... It would just be a constant 1v1 all around the map.
    I understand your frustration but when thinking outside of the box you must also think outside of your own box, because others people mind will likely think of a way around of your thoughts.
    It took me few mins to think this, and a change like that could ruin the game, making it not anymore a tram based game but a campy one

• @eKEYN they could still implement it in part. It doesn’t need to be the full extent of my idea.

• @CAPO-9 said in Solo survivability idea:

This game is super awesome when you have a team that works well but it can be infuriating when you don’t.

I agree, which is why to encourage good teamplay there shouldn't be any incentive to go solo.

I think in order to combat this challenge there should be a Lone Wolf buff that triggers when you are on your own and faced with 2 or more enemies.

But then you're not punished for going out on your own. If the solo player were to survive that encounter the buff is too powerful, and if they die to those two players the buff fails to really do any good. Either way I think it prolongs the time the team has to wait for that player to join the game proper.

If people want to contribute to a team environment as a solo player they would be better off in Team Fortress 2. I mean no malice when I say that - TF2 is a very good game suited for that type of play. Bleeding Edge is not.

Lone Wolf Mode
    • Attacks that land cause flinching on all enemy types, and combos cannot be interrupted by any enemy without parrying or dodging at the right time.

I suppose this encourages the person to go back to their team, but I think the best encouragement is dying and not doing it again.

• Attack speed increased by a percentage for every additional foe faced

As I said before if this actually gets the player kills they might be encouraged to further run away. If they die, it leads to the same result as without the buff.

• Dodge recovery rate increase for better chance to escape

This I like. I would add "does not stack with existing stamina recharge mods" to make sure Daemon duellists and less suited chasers get any clever ideas.

• This buff triggers when you are alone and faced with 2 or enemies with health at 50% or less.

An interesting idea. I suppose if they're on low health they might then decide to regroup, though my sadistic yet pragmatic self might say it would be better to die and rejoin the team than sap the healer's resources. Maybe I shouldn't be a Zero Cool main after all. xD

Something like this I believe would make that moment when your team ditches you or perishes, much less infuriating.

It would, but the blame does not rest solely on the other members of the team either. I use Daemon a lot as an example of someone who solo's because that's my experience with him in my team. I can't blame people for getting carried away either, but I don't like the idea of the game giving them a safety net for their own use of the risk-reward play.

This idea can be implemented in wholly to an extent, or in part, not to discourage team play but to simply increase survivability when you are caught in a bind.

No doubt it would increase survivability, which is sort of the problem. Perhaps we're quite simply and fundamentally at odds. Your idea isn't bad, I think it works in the right game, but I'm of the belief that Bleeding Edge is not that game.

I hope this doesn't discourage you from sharing any other ideas you might have. I like your way of thinking and it was something of a challenge for me to put into words how I felt about it. I doubt you can change my mind on this idea, but it's important the developers see a variety of viewpoints!

I think we'll be having this conversation again come the time of Ranked modes and the possible addition of e-sports! ^^

• @CAPO-9 The problem is, in a team orientated game, a solo player mechanic can't be done right -- it's counter intuitive to the very nature of the game. So, I disagree that it would add a unique dynamic, in fact, I think it would introduce an entirely different problem. Team orientated games are notorious for god-complex mentalities where everyone thinks that they are the saving grace and it's the rest of their team that's the problem. As a result, what you'll more-than-likely see in solo play is a bunch of players who think they need to carry the game with the mechanic and now you just have a bunch of split players in a team game.

Besides, why should you have increased survivability when you're "caught in a bind"? You were caught out for X reason and you were punished for it -- it's that simple. Did your team ditch you or did you not retreat/move to the objective with them? Either way, now you know that you need to move with the team.

• As a concept that applies to all fighters, I have to disagree. This mechanic could be implemented if it was done as being part of a hero's kit. Something like an ultimate gave them these steroids, a mod, or a mod that only activates while a ultimate is popped.