Role Queue (Suggestion)

• @D4m0R3d I see what you're saying, i think the devs will just have to force a team comp and i think the best one would be 2 dps/1 tank/1 support. then they would have to balance the game around that as well. it would be a bit difficult to implement but i think this game would benefit from this greatly.

my problem is that lets say that i want to play tank, then i should be able to and get proper team around me. not 3 dps and 1 tank. or if i want to play dps i should be able to and i shouldnt have to get forced off what i want to play just to fill.

and lets say that this game gets a competitive mode, then youre gonna want your team playing all of their best characters. lets say you queue with a team of 2 tank and 2 dps mains. then whos gonna play support at the level that you're ranked in?

this is gonna be a huge problem going forward if they dont address this now or soon.

• I absolutely despise forcing set role. There needs to fluidity in a game; the ability to change characters and role ratios on the go is a necessity.

Role queue was one of the main patches that absolutely killed Overwatch for me.

Every game I have played so far, someone has always taken a support/healer. So until we are further into game release, see how characters truly perform and how people select (consistently, via accruing more data), enforcing a role queue system into the game, from the get go, will effectively kill it dead in the water.

Of course, this is just my own opinion. But role queues never work out great...

• @D4m0R3d In all my games people pick supports and tanks, but they don't know how to use them a lot of times though.

• It's a very controversial feature. Some desperately want it, some despise it. There tends to be no middle ground šŸ™‚ For me I 100% agree with what @NibbleMyToe said.

I definitely think it's way too early to enforce constraints, especially when there's so much depth and new strategies to explore. You are just limiting what players can and can't do on Day 1 of release, what's even the point? Player freedom is so key to the growth of a multiplayer game.

I played 400+ Beta games and I reckon only about 5 of those games were totally unbalanced without healers. I was happy to fill but I only had about a 20% pick rate for Support which showed many more people were happy to fill or just enjoyed playing Support roles themselves. I'm surprised at seeing some of these threads as I know you're not the only one asking for this feature. In my experience it hasn't even crossed my mind as being a potential problem.

• @NibbleMyToe
    100% agree.

@Votre-Daron yea but they are still using them. i think those are the kinds of players that it doesnt matter what character they pick. they will probs be bad because they are at that point where they are clueless/ learning

• @Fat-Bloonskis Role q would be bad and have major problems. The first is a lack of team comp variety. It will remove the option to go double healer or double tank or something crazy. More importantly, it will lead to longer q times which is never a good thing and must be avoided at all costs

My experience so far has been pretty good in this area, most games we have a tank and support without me having to fill either of them. The best approach would be to incentivize playing these two roles rather than forcing them. I already see a heavy tendency towards a balanced comp but they could simply increase the rewards you get for playing either role.

Or, the game could detect what the team is missing, and then everyone gets a message saying ā€œwhoever is first to switch to X role and stay on it the entire game will get Y extra rewards at the endā€. The only exception would be if someone is already the only healer or tank on the team

Role q was necessary in overwatch because so few people were playing tank/support. I donā€™t find that to be the case here, people just need a little extra encouragement to fill and it should be ok

• the game does not need role queue... there are comps that work with 2 healers 2 tanks, 3 healers and a gizmo, 3 dps and 1 healer... there is only need for adaptation to counter

• I donā€™t want a role queue but I definitely want people to play the roles they pick. I canā€™t tell you how many games Iā€™ve had a tank not peel healer, or a dps not do dps. Thatā€™s frustrating.

In the end I think role queue will slow down the queues and will put limits on possible metas. I think it should be open and free. The game is new and a lot of people have just been one trick ponies. That should balance out in the long run. Everyone should at least know 2 out of each role.

• @D4m0R3d I think so to, but at least they pick them.

• @Fat-Bloonskis i believe there should be suggestions in game while your team is selecting characters. like "your team has no tank" "your team has no support" etc.... or an overall percentage of team comp. like if every one picks Dps your team comp rating is like a C but if ya got a dps a tank and 2 supports then the team comp rating is an A.. but nothing that forces you to pick something. just give us a suggestion to pick something

• Overwatch has a lot of players, I think Bleeding Edge will not have even 1/8 of that player base tbh. So if OW has a role queue of 10 mins for dmg, how much longer would be the queue here? Sorry but I would leave this game if I have to wait AT LEAST 10 mins/match if I want to play dmg.
    Yes, team composition is a problem and matches with 4 dps on the team are the worst, but there has to be another solution to this.
    PD: While I love playing healer in OW or Paladins, I really get bored as support here, I only enjoy playing damage

• NO, it does not, if no one is playing support or tank is because you are not playing any of those either, so, the guilt is yours too, you want a tank, play a tank, u want a healer, play a healer, if you dont wanto to, just dont do it but not complain, and we do not want to wait 8 minutes to get a simple match, just as you do in overwatch, and thats just in quick play, imagine a competitive gamemode with the bleeding edge playerbase, which is half of overwatch, at least 15 minutes for a game you most likely will lose

• I will always go for Support, I played healer in both WoW and Overwatch. I think forcing it in a game of 4 v 4 could hurt the game, what if a team found a great way to do 1 tank and 3 dps? Could work.

• @IXTheCandyManXI said in Role Queue (Suggestion):

NO, it does not, if no one is playing support or tank is because you are not playing any of those either, so, the guilt is yours too, you want a tank, play a tank, u want a healer, play a healer, if you dont wanto to, just dont do it but not complain, and we do not want to wait 8 minutes to get a simple match, just as you do in overwatch, and thats just in quick play, imagine a competitive gamemode with the bleeding edge playerbase, which is half of overwatch, at least 15 minutes for a game you most likely will lose

Man, saying BE player base is the half of OW... Not even 1/10 by now, the would have said on twitter or something if they hit 1 million players in the beta or more. We will see after launch, but right now role queue could kill this game