Gazer Support Fighter Concept

• Hey all, fighter concept pitches seem to be flourishing here moreso than on the subreddit so I'll post my new idea here. I did however have a previous chain-based idea that I posted on the subreddit if you're interested in checking it out, here's the link: Chain-based Fighter

Hey devs, let us know how you like our ideas! It's unclear if you'll ever do a design contest, so let us know if these are ever on your mind or if you avoid player character ideas like the plague to avoid copyright or something lol. We really do want to know if they're able to spark your inspiration for future fighters, even if it's only bits and pieces you like!

Anyway... haven't decided on a name yet but here we go!

Character Concept
    A female ranged support. She was born blind but had her mind augmented to allow her to control these flying robots shaped like eyes called "Gazers" to let her see. There are three Gazers that float around her head in a triangle formation, and they glow brighter when charged up.

I imagine she has a metal band over her eyes like a blindfold, and there's an augmentation cap around her skull, so she's hairless and perhaps it's even transparent such that her brain is visible along with some cool looking augments/circuitry. I also imagine the she floats using an augmentation ring around her waist. The whole concept should feel floaty and ephemeral with airy clothes, like an aloof seer who sees everything.

Basic Abilities
    Gazer Lazer : Projectiles of light shoot out in groups of 3 from the Gazers.
    Evade: Duh
    Gazers (Passive): Your specials have no cooldowns, instead they consume the energy of one of your Gazers on each cast. Gazers recharge over time, something like one every 6-8s.

Specials
    Glare: Your Gazer blasts an enemy, dealing some damage (~50 hp), knocking them back, and silencing for 1s.
    Wink: You teleport to a target ally and Cleanse them.
    Scan: You scan the wounds of an ally and heal them (~150 hp). Double cast to heal yourself.

Supers
    Haunt: You disappear and become untargetable by following an ally as your Gazers appear around them, allowing you to still use your abilities while haunting. Haunted allies regenerate hp over time (~30-40 hp/s) and you can use Wink to swap to a different ally. Probably lasts around ~10s.

Truesight: All enemies are Revealed, your Gazers recharge, and your recharge rate is doubled for the duration (~10s).

Concept Mechanics and Strategy
    So the general play style feels pretty straight forward - there's a lot of ranged and single target abilities, and some general mobility and CC to work with. But the real skill comes with managing your centralized resource, which allows you to spam specials if you want or conserve and manage them as the fight progresses. In particular, there's no limit on what you're allowed to use, so you can cast Scan 3 times to focus on healing, or Glare twice and Wink once to help you and an ally escape, etc etc. So you have to manage a cooldown-like mechanic, but you're allowed to decide which of the 3 specials you want to use anytime your Gazers are ready.

I really wanted to see more of Silence and Cleanse in particular, especially on a support character. Makutu's Cleanse is way too hard to use, but it is sometimes useful. It's just not at all good as a melee ability when he may not be near the stunned target in time (they're not that long usually anyway) or, worse, is also stunned because he was too close. I've had good success with it cancelling Bamboozle, but any CC to Kulev will also do that so why bother going through the effort of Cleanse when you can just Barge Kulev. Silence is such a great alternative to stuns in terms of balancing out CC, but so far it's only on one of Nidhoggr's supers, you know the one that isn't Ride the Lightning which most people pick. (Personally I like Death Growl a lot, but lets be real Ride the Lightning is crazy strong with the right setup).

I get the sense that Stealth will continue to be a recurring theme. I don't expect more characters quite like Daemon, but Maeve and Miko also can stealth (I mean I think Vanish counts as stealth it's super unclear) so I imagine it'll be common enough that Reveal will continue to come in handy. Truesight feels pretty strong just because it lets you spam abilities. Alternatively, Truesight could recharge and empower the next 3 uses of specials instead of increasing regeneration, giving it a more Super-like feel. Haunt I really like since it would protect you while allowing you to heal allies more effectively.

• @Evade-This5965

in the trailer for the game they showed a scene where it displays artificial eyes. so i dont know how i feel about her voluntarily not taking that augment, and instead chosing to have her eyes outside of her head, cause it kinda gives her a huge disadvantage. but i mean its really cool idea, i just dont know how they would explain her not getting eyes. maybe she was poor and couldnt afford them and so she made the bigger less advanced ones, wich she then modified later to shoot lazers/ heal? or it could be that she was a science experiment, thats why her brain is revealed.

i like the way she looks (at least the way you describe her look) i probs prefer her to just be bold without being able to see her brain, but it sounds like a good Halloween skin.

i think all the specials are cool exept for wink. it just doesnt make sence to me, that she can teleport. like idk she has eyes and magnetic floaty rings, idk what would maker her teleport.

i think an ability like a flash bang would make more sence. something that blinds other enemies and will stun them if they are within a 1.5 metre radius. kinda ironic aswell, wich makes me think this would be a cool ability.

"Truesight: All enemies are Revealed, your Gazers recharge, and your recharge rate is doubled for the duration (~10s)."

this sounds cool and could possibly counter mikos ult. the way i imagine it lore wise is that she charges up reserves during the match and will use the reserves all at once in a single burst of power wich is truesight wich will allow her to do as you say.

and haunt sounds ok, like going invisible and being able to use abilities still sounds good, but i dont like the name haunt.. but this aint my idea its yours so yea but if i were to name it id probs call that one wink or sleep.

• @D4m0R3d

As for not just getting artificial eyes, well this is arguably better than that anyway. Besides it's way easier to explain this kind of stuff than you're thinking. I.E., artificial eyes require a working optic nerve, or anything at all to use as a basis to connect to the brain. Unlike most blind people, she doesn't even have that much, so the typical path for regaining eyesight was never an option. Then, either through connections like say Cass, or through being tortured and experimented on like Miko, she gains the ability to interface with technology directly with her mind through an extensive augmentation process. This allows her to control as many eyes as she wants to.

Basically any reasoning would do, I just wanted to go for a blind character concept that controlled flying mechanical eyes lol.

That would make a good Halloween skin! Like a mindflayer or something.

You're just questioning Wink in a thematic sense right? I guess it's not quite perfectly aligned, but there is an undercurrent of incorporeality as a theme too - at least that's what I was aiming for with Haunt and such. So it's an eye/ghost theme I guess? I could also call it "Blink" which is both eye themed and universally used to describe a short range teleport lol, though Wink also has similar connotations with a more ally oriented vibe (as in winking is a friendly gesture, so it's an ally targeted support ability). I might be able to figure out a better way to represent that in her design. Besides, it doesn't strictly have to be a teleport - an unstoppable dash with the floaty ring would achieve the same thing. It really doesn't matter though, it still fits the theme well enough.

Flashbang... going with the eye theme maybe call it glimmer, twinkle, sparkle, or flash? A short range AOE stun doesn't fit very well mechanically - mostly we need another utility or support oriented effect here. As a super though, it could work. Like, maybe any enemies looking at her are stunned for a while?

Yeah having a super with a Reveal effect called Truesight just seemed like an obvious thematic choice - though I'm also not sure how I feel about it. It's a little too much like Miko's ult, and just improves her abilities in a somewhat boring way. Maybe your flashbang idea would be better here.

It's called haunt cause you're possessing an ally like a ghost, not going invisible. So the ally you're on would have to die or your super could end, then you'd reappear. It's like going invulnerable basically, but you're hitchhiking on an ally. Though what did I say... 10s? That might be a little too long, but it needs to be at least longer than Makutu's invulnerability super, and it should heal about half as much or less total hp than Miko's Life Force super. So if its 40 hp/s for 8s, that's 320 hp... not too bad that could work. I was thinking the total heal could be like ~300 hp.

Thanks for the response! 🙂

• @Evade-This5965

"she gains the ability to interface with technology directly with her mind through an extensive augmentation process."

yea thats what i mean with the regular eyes. coulda just done some microchip in the brain and have the eyes connect through bluetooth lol. its futuristic game shit. so yea if she can connect to these outer eyes she should be able to do normal eyes. and normal eyes plus these eyes would be more advantageous for hand eye coordination and shit. having eyes that are in your actual head are more usefull than eyes outside of your head. at least for self awareness and perspective if thats the right word.

but i think "maybe she was poor and couldnt afford them and so she made the bigger less advanced ones, wich she then modified later to shoot lazers/ heal? or it could be that she was a science experiment, thats why her brain is revealed."

this kind of explaination fits the book enough.

" I just wanted to go for a blind character concept that controlled flying mechanical eyes lol."

yea its a cool idea.

blink would definately be a good name for her teleportation. or for her invis.

"I might be able to figure out a better way to represent that in her design. Besides, it doesn't strictly have to be a teleport - an unstoppable dash with the floaty ring would achieve the same thing. It really doesn't matter though, it still fits the theme well enough."

yea rather than teleportation, cause idk it just doesnt make sence to me that mechanical eyes give her this ability, maybe invisability with her useing the eyes as thrusters to move faster? so its like a super speed dash. like you mentioned. i think that would be really cool. super speed dash she can do while invis. ability called blink cause she moves from here to there in a blink.

also maybe she can have a high jump also using one of the eyes lazers as a thruster to get her in the air, or would that be OP mobility.

"Flashbang... going with the eye theme maybe call it glimmer, twinkle, sparkle, or flash? A short range AOE stun doesn't fit very well mechanically - mostly we need another utility or support oriented effect here. As a super though, it could work. Like, maybe any enemies looking at her are stunned for a while?"

i think it works well as a support ability. stunning enemies to let your teamates escape or stunning enemies to allow them to get the jump on the enemies. idk about using it as an ult tho.

"Yeah having a super with a Reveal effect called Truesight just seemed like an obvious thematic choice - though I'm also not sure how I feel about it. It's a little too much like Miko's ult, and just improves her abilities in a somewhat boring way. Maybe your flashbang idea would be better here."

idk i like that it combats mikos ult. and yea it works really well with the theme.

"It's called haunt cause you're possessing an ally like a ghost, not going invisible. So the ally you're on would have to die or your super could end, then you'd reappear. It's like going invulnerable basically, but you're hitchhiking on an ally."

hmmm i feel like they would have to make it like maeves invis but longer lasting. cause if you are just spectating a teamate and healing them or watever i feel like it would be a boring ult. just being able to move around and control your own character while doing so would make it feel more interactable, as though you are doing it, rather than you are watching your character do it you know what i mean?

the stats for it sound good though