This game needs more aiming/skill requirement

• I like bleeding edge but after the betas and initial launch i have not been playing it much at all. This is unfortunate because i want to play it more but it is not as engaging as it could be

This is due to the fact that everything is lock on and auto hit so the game does all the aiming for you. It becomes a rather passive and uninteresting experience just locking onto someone and then holding the button to keep shooting them

I am only talking about ranged heroes, for melee they should keep the lock on because you still have to chase people down and get close enough to actually hit them so it’s fine especially with all the dodges and movement abilities etc

But for ranged heroes I honestly think it would be good if they introduced more of an actual aiming mechanic that requires skill rather than locking on and toggling between targets. This is way too easy and also makes it so that an ability like cass’s backleap often become pointless unless you actually leap onto higher ground where they can’t see you.

Let’s say you leap over someone and juke them out, but it makes no difference because the lock on remains the camera follows you so they keep shooting you anyways even though they would have lost track of you if they actually had to aim

I would tend to say complete free aim is probably the best way to go, however there is obviously the issue of crossplay. Pc players will have an unfair advantage over console players if free aim is introduced. So they might have to turn off crossplay if this is added or just try it and see if it works

Or maybe they could find an alternative to free aim, some sort of aiming system with a strong assist and soft lock on that would add more skill while also keeping things pretty even for both platforms

I know this would be a huge change for the game and something that would alter the foundation of everything they have built. But in my opinion this would make the game much better and more enjoyable, more active and engaging, and I think i would play it a lot more.

• Well,
    Im glad that you mentioned crossplay issue. You clearly understand that it would be fundamental change to the game. Hell, it would be completly diffrent game (basicly tpp overwatch).
    The fact of lock on targeting made this game go crossplay and this is a fantastic achievment.
    Turning that off is like asking to add rocket jump to counter strike. It is not a design flaw, it is intended.
    Regards,
    RustyBlasty

• @RustyBlasty Yea of course it’s intended I’m saying that the game would be better if they went in a different direction

They obviously designed it this way and there are some benefits to having a lock on system but i believe the drawbacks outweigh them. Requiring no skill to do damage with ranged heroes is hurting the game and it would be much better with an aiming system

• Once agin: "like asking to add rocket jump to counter strike"

You want more skill based game? Try Starcraft.

Want Bleeding edge with aim? Try Overwatch

(Not a blizz ad)

Regards,
    RustyBlasty

• @RustyBlasty You’re making my point exactly for me. There is something missing and i AM playing other games instead of this one because it lacks the aiming requirement

What im saying is that if they want me to play their game more (and many other people might feel the same way) then they should change the system to make it more appealing to hardcore shooter players

• @ShadoWawker I see what you're saying, and kinda agree, but your argument is base on one crucial misconception: Treating the game like a shooter. Apart from Gizmo, the damage output of ranged basic attacks is pretty low compared to the melee fighters. They're more reliable and of course effective at range, but they are countered by a single melee attack.

Despite following the trend of Hero-Based games like Overwatch and Paladins, Bleeding Edge has little in common with actual shooters, and more in common with somewhat less reactive titles like League of Legends and DOTA2.

• @ShadoWawker removing aaim lock would take away from the point of the game. The skill is in how you work with your team. The best team is the one that has synergy between their characters and can compliment each others abilities. Not the one with the best aimers. That may have a place in other games but not for such a heavy team oriented brawler like this.

• @JezebelTrap said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

@ShadoWawker I see what you're saying, and kinda agree, but your argument is base on one crucial misconception: Treating the game like a shooter. Apart from Gizmo, the damage output of ranged basic attacks is pretty low compared to the melee fighters. They're more reliable and of course effective at range, but they are countered by a single melee attack.

Despite following the trend of Hero-Based games like Overwatch and Paladins, Bleeding Edge has little in common with actual shooters, and more in common with somewhat less reactive titles like League of Legends and DOTA2.

Comparing this game to league and dota is not right. The closest moba to BE would be smite without a doubt. Third person perspective with roles, abilities, melee and ranged characters etc

And guess what? Smite has free aim. Imagine how boring smite would be if ranged heroes had auto lock and were guaranteed to hit their attacks

All of the skill required to aim would be removed and it would become an extremely passive experience, which is what bleeding edge is now

• You may find the game passive but those of us who hanker after arcade style games this is the closest thing we've got to a Powerstone style game in twenty years.

Free aim would add absolutely nothing to this other than giving the melee focused characters a huge advantage. The game is wonderfully balanced as it is. It's not trying to be Smite or Overwatch, Let it be it's own thing.

• @The-Kron said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

You may find the game passive but those of us who hanker after arcade style games this is the closest thing we've got to a Powerstone style game in twenty years.

Free aim would add absolutely nothing to this other than giving the melee focused characters a huge advantage. The game is wonderfully balanced as it is. It's not trying to be Smite or Overwatch, Let it be it's own thing.

I think free aim would add a lot, it would add exactly what I’m looking for. And that may be the case for many people

Being different isn’t always a good thing. Bleeding edge already has enough originality this is one area that they should be like other games because it will make the experience better

• @The-Kron said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

You may find the game passive but those of us who hanker after arcade style games this is the closest thing we've got to a Powerstone style game in twenty years.

This. Right here. 100% agree. And as someone said before, if you want to have to aim, go play OW

• @ShadoWawker

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the game and your thoughts on the core mechanics, we definitely find that skill comes in to play with positioning and knowing what abilities to use and when.

Look forward to reading more of what players have to say on this topic!

alt text

• @RageKrom said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

@The-Kron said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

This. Right here. 100% agree. And as someone said before, if you want to have to aim, go play OW

That advice is not productive because you are telling me to do something that I already do

I obviously know that I can play other games if I want to aim, that’s not the point. The point is that I want to play THIS game more because I like the concept and characters and many of the gameplay elements, but this one major aspect is preventing my desire to play

Rather than saying forget this game I’m moving on, I am instead giving them feedback and telling them how they could change the game in order to get me to play more (and potentially many others as well)

In the current situation yes I am playing other games and I will continue to do so. I am hoping however that they will give me a good reason to come back and start playing BE again

• @Tetris229 said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

@ShadoWawker

Thanks for taking the time to discuss the game and your thoughts on the core mechanics, we definitely find that skill comes in to play with positioning and knowing what abilities to use and when.

Look forward to reading more of what players have to say on this topic!

alt text

I agree that the game takes skill in regards to those areas of positioning, abilities and teamwork etc. I am not saying that it takes no skill I just feel that it doesn’t require enough.

The act of shooting as a ranged character is what you do to inflict the vast majority of your damage, to have the thing you’re doing most often be an automatic and passive experience feels unengaging to me

After all, fps and battle royale are the most popular genres in gaming. And when you boil them down to their most basic elements, those games come down to aiming a weapon and shooting your opponents.

Without the aiming part, nobody would play them anymore because it would be too easy everyone would essentially be hacking and guaranteed to hit all their shots

So I feel that having the skill required to accurately aim at your target provides another level of fun and engagement that this game currently does not have

• Ok, I gotta ask, as you keep advocating so much for an unnecessary feature. What level are you in Bleeding Edge? Do you play on PC or console? And what's so passive about this game, as it's pretty engaging, sometimes chaotic, and a whole lotta fun.

• @RageKrom said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

Ok, I gotta ask, as you keep advocating so much for an unnecessary feature. What level are you in Bleeding Edge? Do you play on PC or console? And what's so passive about this game, as it's pretty engaging, sometimes chaotic, and a whole lotta fun.

I explained very clearly what’s passive about the experience as a ranged character, if you missed it go back to my op. I also did not say the whole game, melee heroes feel fine to me it’s only ranged ones that I believe should get this change.

Although if they do implement this system and melee becomes too strong then they could simply do it to the melee heroes as well for balance

I am level 20, my playtime is 1 day 3 hours 21 minutes. I play on xbox, and I played both betas but was limited by the lag/performance issues at the time. I was very excited for this game I gave it a very fair chance and put in the time to learn it and be good at it. I even filled out 2 microsoft surveys about it, one after each of the betas

So yes I am invested in this game and I really want to see it do well. But like I said i played it less and less after launch and now I’m barely playing it at all. And the aiming issue I presented is by far the biggest reason why

• I think this is an opinion where people can agree to disagree. I see valid points brought up from both sides of the argument, but I strongly side with having a lock on system. The way the characters are balance, I've never felt like I was ever unfairly killed by a ranged character. When they do kill me, I recognize that it's typically due to poor positioning, getting teamed up against, or poorly misjudging my health bar before entering battles. When I play as a ranged character. I always feel engaged, because I'm focusing on positioning, the timing of my abilities, and the most underused strategy, focusing on who to target and when to re-target.

I don't believe this point was brought up: if there was free aim in this game, wouldn't there be a bunch of bullet spraying into combat groups? I bet that situation would come up constantly, and that type of gameplay sounds unengaging to me.

• I'm going to put this the nicest way possible. I am not trying to come across as being pretentious or some sort of know-it-all.

Lock on is here to stay.
    Ranged basic attacks will always home.
    If that bothers you so much that you feel the need to beg the developers to change the game for you then you need to find a different game.

I'm sorry but the sooner you come to peace with these facts the better. Ranged heroes are easily countered and only in the case of Maeve's cage do I think the ranged heroes need some adjustments

• @thetruepilliger said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

I'm going to put this the nicest way possible. I am not trying to come across as being pretentious or some sort of know-it-all.

Lock on is here to stay.
    If that bothers you so much that you feel the need to beg the developers to change the game for you then you need to find a different game.

I'm sorry but the sooner you come to peace with these facts the better. Ranged heroes are easily countered and only in the case of Maeve's cage do I think the ranged heroes need some adjustments

^ This. As much as I would have preferred if this game worked on a more skill based targeting system, I can't deny that managing the lock-on has really grown on me. It has it's own skill requirement to switch targets or lock-on/off on the fly.

• @thetruepilliger said in This game needs more aiming/skill requirement:

I'm going to put this the nicest way possible. I am not trying to come across as being pretentious or some sort of know-it-all.

Lock on is here to stay.

I think you need to look up the definition of beg because you clearly don’t know what it means if you are applying it to this situation

I am suggesting ideas and providing feedback on how i believe they can improve their game. If you call that begging then you have a serious problem with exaggeration or you just don’t know what it means.

Despite your apparent efforts to try and not come across as pretentious you have managed to do so regardless, which i suppose says something about you.

Ranged heroes being easily countered has nothing to do with this topic so it’s pointless to even bring it up. I never said ranged heroes are op or that an aiming system should be added in order to adjust their power level

If that’s what you got out of my post then you have another problem